Re: emacs switches to Git

Hi folks!

I'm concerned about this interfering with getting stable releases out.  I
am spending hours per week chasing a moving target already--and while I'm
not going to ask folks to stop improving KiCad, changing to git right now
would put a serious cramp in my efforts to get stable releases out.

If you are volunteering to spend time on a future KiCad infrastructure
migration, please speak up and I'll personally contact you when it's
appropriate if you don't follow the list.

If you are volunteering to be a system administrator for KiCad, run a VM,
make backups, follow security updates, monitor logs, make sure we don't
owned by the monthly "every system on the internet is hackable" exploit,
and make sure we're up when our globally diverse developers want to push,
please speak up.

There is serious value to running on hosted services, and also hosted free
and open source services, both in dollars and time, and KiCad does not have
an excess of either of these!

I am sponsoring these build servers through my company, and it's harder
than you think to keep them running--and I've been a professional Unix
sysadmin!

Thanks everyone.  I am excited to see people wanting to contribute but I
think there are better things we can do so everyone has a better KiCad
experience than migrate away from Launchpad today, especially because we
already provide an up-to-date Git mirror at Github.

Adam Wolf
Cofounder and Engineer
W&L