Re: emacs switches to Git

Git was designed to avoid the bitkeeper disaster and it does. It's not
tied to or stuck to any host at all. You can change the host instantly
by doing git remote remove origin, git remote add origin newurl, git
push newurl, you can have multiple remotes too! I have a script to
push to 3 different remote hosts at the same time when I push my
product to a storage server.

As for issue importing there's already scripts to do it.
In fact, I just let the script run and important to a test repo a
little bit: https://github.com/marekr/kicad-test-issues/issues

The only downside is the github api doesn't have a way to create
issues under original users but there's obvious reasons why. (Since
issues are not a git thing but rather github)

>I'm not sure we have the manpower or technical
expertise to host our own git repo.

I could certainly volunteer because it's one of the things I do
already, I maintain a 50 user gitlab instance at my company (before
that was Trac+Git&SVN) and
another one for me and few developers on side personal projects. But
long term is sketchy :/