Re: Global fp-lib-table path

On 2/22/2015 2:56 PM, Bernhard Stegmaier wrote:

>> On 22 Feb 2015, at 20:38, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/22/2015 11:40 AM, Bernhard Stegmaier wrote:
>>>
>>> Wouldn’t it make more sense or be more consistent to have it in
>>> $KISYSMOD where all models are?
>>> OK, fp-lib-table is some kind of configuration/preference which models
>>> to use, so it might fit into the preference location.
>>> But, at least I have my models in my own repository checked out to some
>>> folder and along with them in the same place the fp-lib-table matching
>>> the models of the repository.
>>
>> fp-lib-table is a per user configuration file not a configuration file
>> for every user on the system.  Therefor it should reside in the current
>> user's configuration file path wherever that is on OSX.  On windows it
>> is %APPDATA%\kicad and on linux it is ~/.config/kicad.
>
> Yes, sure.
> I don’t say that I want to have it machine specific.
> I just think that in some way the fp-lib-table should match the module
> repository… I have seen fp-lib-tables floating around for github, for
> local storage, etc. Many (all?) module libraries I found on the net
> bring their own fp-lib-table with them.

I thought default fp-lib-table files that ship with the default
libraries are correct.  Are there libraries missing from the table?  If
so, that needs to be fixed.

> So, I just wondered if it wouldn’t be better when using a local module
> library to store a fp-lib-table matching that module library along with
> it and being able to point KiCad to it.
> At the moment if I want to use my own library on more than one machine I
> either have to fiddle around linking/copying custom fp-lib-table to some
> place where a user should never have to or do something.
> Or, I have to create the same fp-lib-table for my module library via GUI
> for every machine from scratch, which will be quite annoying I guess.

There can only be one fp-lib-table per user and one optional
fp-lib-table for a given project.  Any changes to either fp-lib-table is
the responsibility of the user.  I don't know how we can effectively
manage that.  The fp-lib-table editing dialog is the correct way for
users to edit there library table.  Only users who really know what they
are doing should be editing fp-lib-table with a text editor.

>> $KISYSMOD is only necessary when you do not user the github pluging to
>> read the default footprint libraries or you have local system wide
>> footprint libraries defined.  The github plugin is the default.
>
> And, there have been lengthy discussion whether you want to use github
> libraries or not.
> I don’t… I like to know that the parts I order will fit the PCB at first
> try.

Something has to be the default.  I don't have a strong opinion one way
or another.  I've used both GitHub and local footprint libraries with
good results.  I do like GitHub for the default libraries.  I don't have
to constantly do a git pull and/or check the website to get the latest
footprint library updates.