Re: Getting started?

On 3/4/2015 5:55 AM, Marc Jacobi wrote:
> Yes, I agree that bug fixing or adding simple features is a good way to
> ease into the code (complexity).
>
> But I was hoping there would be some abstract picture of how the program
> is structured (internally - that it has modules is pretty evident on the
> outside) what components are identified and how the responsibilities are
> distributed among the classes...?

That's not likely to happen given our resource limitations.  KiCad is a
very large project and it takes a long time to wrap your head around all
of it.  It's definitely not a project for the casual developer.

> Documentation at class level (doxygen) is nice for reference - when you
> already know where to look and what to look for...
> For getting to know a code base it is too much and too detailed IMHO...

Wow!  We might be the first open source project accused of having too
much detailed source code documentation. :)  All kidding aside, the
doxygen documentation is the best resource other than rolling up your
sleeves and figuring out how the code works.  At least you can get an
idea of the classes and how they fit together.