Re: thoughts on dependency on SISL library

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:20 AM, Cirilo Bernardo
<cirilo.bernardo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My wording of the initial message must have been vague. AGPLv3 does not
> prohibit
> commercial use, but SINTEF as the copyright holder only allows AGPLv3 use if
> the application is not  a commercial cloud service.

Sorry to be a PITA Cirilo, but this is still not correct. Look at one
example file, say [1]. It has a standard AGPL3 header. That means you
are fully free to do with it all the things people do with
AGPL-licensed files, including setting up a commercial cloud service.
Then, after the standard AGPL3 header, they write this:

"Other Usage
You can be released from the requirements of the license by purchasing
a commercial license. Buying such a license is mandatory as soon as
you develop commercial activities involving the SISL library *without*
disclosing the source code of your own applications."

Emphasis on "without" is mine. Also, the mentioning of commercial
activities is superfluous in their sentence. *Any* activity,
commercial or not, which breaches AGPL will need their permission.

So people are completely free to set up a commercial cloud service
using KiCad with SISL in it. They just have to provide users with an
easy way to access all the sources of KiCad, including the SISL bits.
This is the behaviour we all want (I guess) anyway, so all is good.

Cheers,

Javier

[1] https://github.com/SINTEF-Geometry/SISL/blob/master/src/construct.c