Re: Call for help, no programming experience required.

I would prefer that the orientation and scaling match footprint so the
user doesn't have to change anything by default.  In other words, the
scaling is always 1 and the offsets and rotation angles are always 0.

that is exactly what I do with my 3D models in VRML and STEP for kicad StepUp
the lib of 3D parametric models is done in that way:
https://github.com/easyw/kicad-3d-models-in-freecad/tree/master/cadquery/FCAD_script_generator