Re: Looking for complex board designs

On 11/3/2015 5:09 AM, Javier Serrano wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I know it's noisy but I want developer input on this as well as website
>> developer input.  I think the developers have a right to know how their
>> work is being used and have a say in it.  The CERN folks may want some
>> say on this as well and I'm not sure they see the website mailing list
>> stuff.
>
> Hi, if I understand well the debate is not really about how we allow
> our work to be used, but rather about what to host or link to in the
> website and the conditions thereof. As to the former, by including a
> GPL2+ or GPL3+ header in our sources we agree that they be used in any
> way which complies with those licenses. As to the latter, I have no
> strong opinion on the subject, and will agree with whatever you guys
> decide. I do have a slight preference for not requiring funding in
> exchange of linking because that could open a can of worms. For
> instance, we could be faced with a situation where a project we don't
> want to advertise (for whatever reason) expects linking just because
> they funded KiCad development.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Javier

I'm not requiring funding.  I'm just throwing it out as an option for
commercial products to get on the "Made with KiCad" page without
mentioning KiCad on there website.  We need to have some show of good
faith that a board was actually designed with KiCad.  If the company
that produced that board with KiCad is not willing to at least state
publicly that they used KiCad (something like the "powered by Apache
logo") to design the board, we shouldn't be in the business of giving
them free advertising.  It also puts the burden of proof that they used
KiCad on them.  In other words, they are making the claim.  Not us.  I
can foresee a situation where someone claims that there board was design
with KiCad to get some open source/hardware good will when in fact they
didn't use KiCad.  This puts KiCad in a potentially embarrassing
situation that I would like to avoid.  There would be no expectation of
funding.  Only an expectation of good will.

Cheers,