Re: [rfc] actual sexpression parsing

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:40:44AM -0500, Mark Roszko wrote:

> Simply trying to make parsing simple and easy of sexpr. No file format
> change required.

Still keep proposing mandatory quotes for strings :D completely backward
compatible.

> Yes we need a parser especially with some of our nuisances of allowing
> UTF8 in places (most parsers I've seen only allow ASCII and other
> funnyness, and SPECTRA which is sexpr-like is a different take). I
> wrote a parser that's simple to maintain in tree and can be extended
> to handle things easily.

Can of worm warning! Be careful since going out-of-ASCII is not so
simple for some formats. Case in point, IPC is ASCII strict and SPECCTRA
has it's own things for quoting. IIRC there are special cases in the
sexp code for handling SPECCTRA idiosyncrasies.

> I don't quite understand the point about "generic" formats not needing
> parsers. All formats need dedicated parsers, unless you were written
> in Javascript and you eval(JSON).

Or (read) for lisp sexps... if it isn't dedicated why libxml2 is so big? :D

Also generators. printf doesn't quite feel right. In C++ << is
overloaded for stream and called 'insertion operator', it would fit into
place for building sexps.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
CZ Srl - Parma