Re: wxDC GAL (Re: Grid in GAL canvas)

On 15.01.2016 20:44, "Torsten Hüter" wrote:
> Hi,

>>> It will not be deprecated until we have one for one feature parity
>>> between the canvases and we can get by without it on all supported
>>> platforms. AFAIK, Tom is working on a wxDC gal implementation which
>>> should eliminate the second part. If this happens before the next
>>> release, then there is no reason to continue to support the legacy canvas.
>
> Is this a new decision? I thought that wxDC is not that much interesting, because it usesis deprecated functions and is problematic on some platforms.
>
> I did an wxDC implementation, this was my last work on the GAL and then Orson continued it and he should know this implementation.

Hi Torsten,

Our development is based on your wxDC code. Many thanks for it.

Cairo is unbearably slow also because it tries to mimic openGL behaviour
(for instance, transparency and Z-buffering, so that overlapping
trace/pad corners are not brightened). This is for free in OpenGL, but
very expensive in Cairo. We'll also check how much speedup we'll get by
disabling these features in Cairo.

Another issue is, that Cairo - as used in the GAL - renders to a memory
surface, which means a purely software renderer. wxDC can benefit from
HW 2D acceleration, at least on some platforms.

Cheers,
Tom