Re: Discussion: Hidden Pins, Net labels

Hi,

First: A visible hidden pin is a pin that has originally been hidden in the library and I set it to visible. Sorry for the confusion.

In my design (bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1443050) my own created part (PCM2906) had no hidden pins.
I then connected a power net named VDD -- used only on that sheet -- to some of the pins of that device.
Afterwards on another sheet I used a 4052 device from the KiCad library.
This one has hidden power pins which I set to display.
Then I connected a net +6V to its VDD pin.
According to the bug report this then is an explicit connection between VDD an +6V.

This was not intended and also at the time when I created that circuit I found some tutorial where explicitly was stated that non-hidden pins do
_only_ connect to the drawn wire on that pin (would be +6V in that case). Sadly I can't find that tutorial any more. At this time this
worked fine. (Maybe the older KiCad version had a bug and did it the "wrong way"… ;))

Also I understand that this is the current implementation in KiCad.

As I see it the current conclusion is that hidden pins are here to stay (for the time being). And I will not use KiCad libs that use them. Fine
and settled.

But it is a non-obvious and rather confusing thing to do. There are many people that get bitten by this "bug by design".

Therefore my proposal/strong wish that KiCad at least provides a way to check net connections and give an error when two nets with different
names are connected.

That KiCad internally uses net names different from the visible label is to no concern to me as a user. In my eyes KiCad must be able to detect
net name collisions regardless of intended or unintended.
It is for the user to decide if this collision is intended or an error on his side.
Silently connecting nets and also setting the resulting net name in the netlist "randomly" to one of the names of the different net labels is --
in my opinion -- not the "right way" to do things.

Regards,
  André