Re: 3D plugin for STEP/IGES via OCE

I suggested splitting the 3D models long ago but there was some resistance
even though
I really can't imagine how 3D models belong in a directory structure with
schematic symbols.

Some thought would need to go into the organization of the repositories and
how these
would look like as an offline directory structure for users who prefer to
pull the repositories.
I think any STEP and IGES files should be compressed; their data structure
results in very
high compression (often as much as 10:1). Although this would result in
crazy diffs, git
will not complain. Crazy diffs on modifying STEP or IGES files is
inevitable anyway.

I think ultimately a hosted solution with features similar to Altium's
"vault" is the way to
go; however that requires some hosting infrastructure and development of
the API and
any code/scripts to make it all happen.

- Cirilo