Re: libngspice in Homebrew

> Am 02.09.2016 um 15:20 schrieb Simon Wells <swel024@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> The only issue i see with those being the only options is head is a
> moving target which may cause us issues down the road, esspecially
> considering the last time a stable was released i am unsure of the
> stability of head and iirc the current "stable" version is either
> buggy or in some other way bad, however its better than nothing so i
> also offer thanks

Yeah, HEAD as a constantly moving target could be dangerous at some
point, at least when packaging libngspice for a stable release.

But I think that at least for nightly builds of Kicad, HEAD might be
better than the “stable 26” version of ngspice, due to the bugs that
were already spotted by Orson, Tom, JP, Chris and others when they
first tested the Kicad/ngspice simulator.

Plus, Homebrew offers the ability to specify a certain commit on a
certain branch even for HEAD.  So if there comes the point where HEAD
might be broken for a longer time, there is still a way out for new
users.  And developers, unless they `brew cleanup` after every update,
can still switch back to an older, known-to-work-version they had used
before.

Cheers
Johannes