Re: announcing eeshow (schematics renderer and viewer)

Eldar Khayrullin wrote:
> Now projects are opening from another places

Great !

> (maybe I was confused with
> message like this one "../kicad-gost-library/linear-gost.lib: not found")

Yes, there can be quite a lot of complaints like this, and they can
be confusing at times. I still need to tame this. In any case, much
of this will improve when rewriting file lookup.

> I tried with and without flag -P. All work with same speed and show
> cyrillic text right.

Oh, cyrillic works even without -P ? Then it's maybe just a question
of what fonts are installed.

The speed difference is not very noticeable most of the time. You
can experience it when loading a design with many sheets (e.g.,
Neo900, 37 sheets), then showing the index. Eeshow renders every
sheet to the small icon image. On my PC, this takes about 350 ms
with Cairo (still not really noticeable), but more than 2 s with
Pango.

The images are cached (as long as the window size remains the same),
so the next time you invoke the index it's fast. To see how long
operations take, you can toggle time measurements with "T". The
time shown is from the last input action (key, mouse movement, etc.)
to the end of the screen update.

> But I saw some issues (see images):
> 1) doesn't use fields values;

Yes, I don't expand all the %X format symbols in page layouts yet.
I'll add the missing ones over time. Some are also a bit tricky,
e.g., what should go into %K "KiCad version", name and version of
the renderer, i.e., eeshow/eeplot, or the name of the editor ? In
the latter case, all I could show is "KiCad E.D.A. eeschema" - the
version number doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere.

> 2) issue with \n

Yes, page layout is still a construction site. Eeshow also doesn't
support maxheight and maxwidth yet. If the page layout acts up to
badly, you can suppress it in eeshow and eeplot with the option -L

> 3) without '-P' flag the symbol ~EN1 shows with upper line, but with '-P'
> shows ~EN1.

Yes, that's the overlining I mentioned. It's only implemented for
Cairo so far. Ironically, I added Pango support because I thought
I couldn't do overlining with Cairo, but then I found an only
slightly hackish way to do it.

- Werner