Re: [RFC] Standard field for manufacturer part number in schematic symbols

On 21 December 2016 at 18:59, jp charras <jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

FYI, a tool (I am thinking you are talking about a tool which manages a
> BOM)  which works directly
> with KiCad schematic files is not a good idea.
>
> You really underestimate the complexity of a full complex hierarchical
> project using parts with
> multiple units per package.
>
> The reasonable approach is to parse the netlist.

The tools I use at the moment are
/scripts/bom-in-python/bom_csv_grouped_by_value.py (in KiCad source) and
KiField <https://github.com/xesscorp/KiField> which both work from the
schematic information. There are tonnes of other BOM tools and they all
seem to use the schematic as the single source of truth.
​