Re: [RFC] Standard field for manufacturer part number in schematic symbols

On 6/6/2017 12:51 PM, Kristoffer Ödmark wrote:
> The main reason for the discussion ( From what i gather ) is that
> external tools then have a field they know will be there and can all
> gather around, since they know what it is called.
>
> I dont really think it needs to be hardcoded as such, it could just be a
> default preference to the "JP custom field" table, but then at least
> there would be some solid ground to parse or create scripts around, IE
> anyone can expect that the field "Manufacturer Part Number" ( for
> example!) is going to be there by default. If it has been renamed or
> removed, so be it. But it can reasonably be expected to be there.

I would be opposed to hard coding it.  It is not required internally by
KiCad.  I'm not sure what you mean by "JP custom field".  Please keep in
mind that if a custom field (the value not the name) is empty, it is not
saved in the schematic file so I'm not sure how we would address that if
that is what you are asking.

> The only thing people agreed upon in this long discussion was that there
> should be some field that one can expect to hold a Manufacturer part
> number. The only way I see this happening (or not) at this point is that
> someone takes an executive decision here, and I believe that Wayne
> should be the one saying yay or nay, and decide upon a name. Adding it
> is probably not very hard. I could take that upon myself, in whatever
> form it takes.

I am less concerned about the name than I am about the implementation
and it's impact on the code.  As of right now, custom fields are stored
in the eeschema config file in the "FieldNames" entry.  We could create
a single default custom field for the manufacturer part number in the
eeschema config code but that's not a very elegant solution.  Maybe we
should add a "FieldNames" entry to the default project file (.pro) that
gets copied to the project folder when a new project is created.  That
can be read and merged with the user's custom fields defined in the
eeschema config file.  This seems like a better solution.  This way if a
user just doesn't like the default, they can just modify their default
project file accordingly.  There may be other potential solutions but
this is the best I can think of at the moment.