Re: Default Canvas for v5

> On Dec 31, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski <tomasz.wlostowski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 31/12/17 18:38, Nick Østergaard wrote:
>> I don't think the term standard for Cairo is good. It is better to call
>> it fallback or faillsafe.
>>

> How about this:
>
> - Always start with OpenGL by default.
> - If pcbnew crashes, fall back automagically to Cairo on the next
> launch. Inform that the renderer has been changed due to the crash.

Crashing is always bad. Users will file bug reports. On the Mac, a dialog pops up and offers to send a crash report to Apple. Instead, the exception should be caught and handled behind the user’s back, so Kicad starts as normal and the user is none the wiser.

> - In the case of graphics glitches, inform the users in the FAQ/Manual
> that they can fall back to software renderer in the View menu.
> - Don't use the term 'canvas' or 'view'. Just 'Enable HW acceleration’.

I like that. The fewer technical/programmer terms, the better.