Re: Default Canvas for v5

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 11:18 AM, André S. <list.dev.kicad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to add from a users view:
> In the current KiCad 4.0.7 (Windows 64 bit) you can't drag traces in
> OpenGL/Cairo, only in legacy. (With this I mean: move a segment of a trace
> and it stays attached to the other segments of the trace (Hotkey: 'G')).
> Hotkey 'M' moves segments in OpenGL but moves 'connections' in Legacy
> (segments stay connected).
> More often than not I need the behaviour of Legacy and not that of the
> OpenGL canvas.
>
> In GAL the key to move connections is D, which allows you to drag traces
using the push and shove algorithm. Why is it this not G? I have no idea.

> Values are not displayed in OpenGL/Cairo, only in Legacy.

That is odd, is there a bug report for that?

> And "transparency" is better in Legacy. With only 2 layers you can see the
> traces on the bottom layer better than in OpenGL/Cairo.

This was broken recently when the RGBA setting was added. It used to be
that all layers would have 80% transparency by default. this probably
should be fixed again, I personally prefer to set the transparency even
lower for inner layers too. This is all user settable in the nightlies.

> Just for this few reasons I still use Legacy more often than OpenGL when
> modifying an existing PCB design.
>
> From my view OpenGL is nice because you can manipulate single items
> (segments of traces) better/more comfortably than in Legacy. And initial
> layout work feels smoother.
>
> Just my 2 cents. :)
>
> Happy new year,
>   André
>
> PS: as a side note: When I switch from "Standard/Legacy" or OpenGL to
> Cairo the PCB view goes white and only after a few seconds displays the
> PCB. In the other direction there is no delay.

Performance was greatly improved in GAL in the latest nightlies, did you
try them or just the GAL as seen in 4.0.7?