Re: KiCad (macOS) wxWidgets fork

On 1/19/2018 11:49 AM, Bernhard Stegmaier wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On 15. Jan 2018, at 10:39, Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:c.schoenert@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We should make it obvious that it is a branch of wxwidgets for kicad
>>> specifically patched for macos to avoid any confusion.
>> based on my experiences in other projects I suggest to use topic and
>> prefixed branch names. I'd avoid the usage of capital letters.
>>
>> e.g.
>> kicad/macos-10
>> kicad/macos-11
>> kicad/wx-3.0.3
>
> Good proposal, I like that.
> So, I created a branch
>
>   kicad/macos-wx-3.0
>
> based on the original WX_3_0_BRANCH.
> If at some point patches for other OS (e.g., the mingw patches) should
> go in, we can still rename it and remove the macOS part.
>
>>> 2) Commits
>>> The branch should always be rebased to wxWidgets changes, so all
>>> patches will stay at the top.
>> Rethink about rebasing to hold the branches in sync with upstream as
>> this breaks clones of your branches due smashed SHA IDs and people would
>> need to do a hard reset. Just merge any upstream changes as usual into
>> your branches, in case you want to address / forward your work to
>> upstream you also would do a merge request then. That's the typicall
>> workflow I know in such cases.
>
> Thanks for the reminder, I tend to forget that.
> So, no rebasing but merging.
>
>>> I still find it somehow difficult to see where original branch ends
>>> and own changes start.> Should we add some prefix “KiCad: …” to all
>>> commit messages?
>>
>> I see no need to do so as you work on "your" branch and merge commits
>> are visible as that they are, I personally do some prefixing in my work
>> in the subject for the file, component, part, OS (...) the commit is
>> about.
>
> I decided to prefix every change with “macOS: “, just in case the branch
> gets used for other OS in future.
>

> I reviewed all the patches and only applied what was still needed/valid.
> See end of the mail for details.
> For me, it compiles on macOS 10.12 and 10.13 (with macosx-version-min
> from 10.13 down to 10.7).
>
> The branch should be ready to use now.
> All macOS devs please test if you see any problems or if anything is
> missing.
>
> As soon as Adam has integrated it into the daily builds also the current
> build errors should be gone.
>
> Next step would be to adapt KiCad compile documentation and to remove
> the patches from KiCad source.
> @Wayne: Is it OK for you to remove the patches?

I'm ok with removing the macos patches.  If no one else objects, I will
make sure it gets done before the v5 branch.  On a related note, we
should probably update the compiling doc and the website so that macos
devs will be able to find the new repo.  Thanks everyone for taking care
of this.

Cheers,

Wayne