Re: Future plans on the KiCad library releases?

Hi Wayne,

> > > [Proposal to make library upgrades easier]
> >
> > As a user, 10000% agree.
>
> Me too!  If users want to constantly update their libraries, that's
> their choice but kicad installers should not be forcing this on users.
> We should have a fixed set of libraries that are tagged for a release
> series so users have consistent libraries to work with until the next
> stable release.  I wouldn't be very happy if my libraries were
> completely changed when I updated to a new point release of KiCad.
> Users in corporate environments tend to value stability more than having
> the latest libraries.

I'm not sure what you mean here.
 - Do you actually mean you agree and think something like my proposal
   should be agreed?
 - Do you think my proposal includes forcing users to upgrade more
   often? I am merely proposing to make upgrades easier *when* they
   happen. How often a user upgrades seems unrelated.
 - Are you sarcastic and think this is an issue only for users that
   "constantly update their libraries"?

I suspect the latter is what you meant, and if so, I tend to disagree,
since even if such an upgrade happens only rarely (e.g. corresponding
with a KiCad majore release or Linux distribution upgrade), as a user I
would still like to see the upgrade happens smoothly, without requiring
manually rebuilding my entire library table.

Also, I (and probably others) am actually interested in getting the
latest library versions, mostly to get new symbols and fixes for
existing symbols. Of course, backward-incompatible changes are a
hindrance here, but I think there has already been some talk to limit
such changes, including library renames, to (for example) major release
versions. I guess adding new libraries within one major release cycle
would be non-disruptive, though, so that would still benefit from my
proposal.

Gr.

Matthijs