Re: Packaging question

Am 26.02.2018 um 01:31 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> As i do not yet plan to ban major changes, i tagged the repos with
>> "v5.0.0-rc1"
>>

> Rene,
>
> I don't think there is a major issue here but tagging rc1 wont hurt
> anything.

Yes, absolutely!
As I started about 2 years ago to keep watching and improving the Debian
packaging of kicad packages a first thing I've done was to automate the
preparation of the needed source tarballs. Keep in mind the kicad
packages need about > 100 git repositories to get data from at this
time. This was really time consuming. Doing these things all
automatically based on a tag has saved a lot of time which is then
better usable for doing the packaging QS for example. Doing a normal
point release is still needing a complete weekend with all the testing.

That's why I've raised the question about versioning especially on the
library side some weeks ago. See point 2 on my starting email about this.

https://www.mail-archive.com/kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg27862.html

Starting with KiCad 5 we decided to split of the various libraries from
the main kicad package, but I need to keep the uploads of the various
stand alone packages in sync because of the relationship between them.
So yes, a consistently naming of tags in the git trees would be really
appreciated!

Doing a RC is not much different from doing a point release. The
following git trees are involved for a complete release.

1. kicad
2. kicad-doc
3. kicad-footprints
4. kicad-i18n
5. kicad-packages3d
6. kicad-symbols
7. kicad-templates

And the kicad website at some point. That is a quite a lot of stuff that
is involved.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert