Re: [RFC] Able to install KiCad stable and "daily build" in same computer

After considering my patch, what about the following proposal:

Just change the hard coded string in common.cpp (at around line 243) from:

cfgpath.AppendDir( wxT( "kicad" ) );

cfgpath.AppendDir( wxT( "kicad.v5" ) );

(or some other string)

Thats it.  Then Kicad Version 5 will have a unique configuration directory that will not conflict with version 4.

If an end user wants to bring their kicad V4 configuration over to v5, they just copy it themselves.  Otherwise it starts with a brand new blank configuration.  Alternatively packaging might be able to copy it over.  But i don't see any real need to do it for the user at that stage.  Its just a complication.

Then when the development branch is forked, just rename this again to something like:
cfgpath.AppendDir( wxT( "kicad.v6dev" ) );

(or whatever).

Then an end user can have V4, V5 and a Nightly all on the same machine and configurations won't conflict.

Anything more exotic can be deferred to V6 development.

Steven