Re: Initial rc6 development.

On 05/18/2018 12:49 PM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
> On 18/05/18 18:42, jp charras wrote:
>>>>

>>> Wayne,
>>>
>>> I would put most of the effort on developing the GAL version of
>>> eeschema. It's not our fault that Linux distros change the APIs of
>>> essential system libraries every 2 years. As a short term solution, I
>>> would propose distributing a distro-agnostic binary Kicad package that
>>> includes all dependencies, including wx and gtk2 libraries. In the
>>> longer run, GALified schematic editor is IMHO the way to go.
>>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> When we are talking about GAL, we are actually talking about 2 different things:
>> 1 - the GAL itself, that is the graphic part of "GAL"
>> 2 - the new event management, that has nothing to do with the graphic layer itself.
>>
>> Using the new event management could be a much more amount of work than writing the  graphic layer
>> code only.
>>
>> So my question is:
>> It is possible to use the GAL itself (restricted to the graphic layer), and keep the current
>> wxWidget management events in eeschema and page layout editor (although the graphics in pl_editor
>> are so basic we can redraw the full screen without any optimization each time a object is moving).
>
> Hi JP,
>
> Yes, it should be possible with some modifications to the current event
> handling code (mostly removing XOR draw calls). I have partly written a
> GAL canvas renderer for eeschema some time ago, let me dig it up and
> post it on Github.
>
> Tom

How did you did code this?  I would think that it would be possible to
use a wxBitmapDC to draw upon and then blit it to the actual hardware
device context without any changes to drawing code (any thing derived
from wxDC can be passed to the drawing code).  This certainly would be
faster than drawing directly to the hardware device context.  The tricky
part with this in the past was getting the viewable area correct.  This
is how the legacy canvas in gerbview works (or at least it used to work
that way because rendering directly to the hardware device context was
too slow).