Re: More default fields in schematic

That discussion once again shows how people misunderstand the concept of part number.
In a schematic, the part number attached to a RefDes should be unique AND NOT a manufacturer number.
  There should be a one to one relationship between a part number (symbol) and a physical shape, so the PCB will be a unit manufacturable only when the BOM is generated, and is one to one relationship between part number and Mfg part number.
The BOM is only for manufacturing assembly and procurement purpose
and does not need to be part of the design database, so Manufacturing can use Equivalent Mfg numbers for a given part number. That’s why many companies use internal numbering systems that are non picture coded and just sequential.
The relationship Symbol, Shape, Supplier is the responsibility of the master library, not the designers.

Just my $0.02,
Jean-Paul
N1JPL