Proposal to remove Default Pad Properties in 6.0

We currently expose this in both Kicad and Modedit, but it’s not really what it says it is as newly created pads use the last set properties, not the default properties.

It is used by Copy / Apply Pad Settings, but that’s a bit odd too as one would expect those to go through the clipboard.

When editing boards I’ve used Push Pad Settings a lot, and Copy / Apply Pad Settings some.  But I’ve never done a Copy, then edited the copy through the Default Pad Properties dialog, and then done an Apply.  And I don’t think anyone else would ever think to do that either.

So I don’t think it actually serves a purpose.

Background:
I’m looking at implementing a tree-controlled Board Setup (similar to the new preferences) which would replace Layers Setup, Design Rules, Text and Drawings, and if required, Default Pad Properties.

This change would also likely include moving Text and Drawings from a type-specific model (footprint item vs PCB item) to a layer-specific model (silk vs fab vs copper vs other).

Comments welcome on that too….

Follow ups