Re: Windows Builds

Hi,

On 25.07.2018 14:16, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

> We should have created a release build of the stable version.  I'm fine
> with nightly builds having debugging information.  Stable releases
> should not have debug info.

These are built as RelWithDebInfo, and the debug information is stripped
out during installation, or rather should be (we're trying to keep the
MSYS build as close to a standard Linux/BSD build as possible, and they
usually archive the debug information separately before stripping, which
is why this mode is useful at all).

I've changed it to Release for the time being (but someone still needs
to accept my pull request in GitHub), but this is indicative of a bug in
the build scripts. RelWithDebInfo should generate the same code as
Release, and after stripping debug information, the binaries should be
identical.

There are two problems I see:

 - we check explicitly if the build type is Release, which then doesn't
match
 - we have a redundant -DDEBUG which is explicitly set — release builds
have -DNDEBUG, which is set by CMake already, and this is what should
switch debugging facilities like asserts.

I've submitted a patch to get rid of -DDEBUG two years ago, I doubt it
still applies. I can make a new one if it has a chance of being applied.

   Simon