Re: eeschema depends on libngspice.so instead of libngspice.so.0?

Hi Carsten,

On 10/27/18 12:12 AM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hello Orson,
>
> Am 26.10.18 um 22:30 schrieb Maciej Suminski:
>> What about libngspice.so.0 symlink? Which package ships that? Anyway, it
>> makes sense to request a particular version of the library in case the
>> API changes in the future.
>
> Simon already has written some more technical explanation but to answer
> your question here in detail, libspice.so.0 is provided (for the reason
> Simon mentioned) in the plain library package in Debian, and this is
> libngspice0.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libngspice0/filelist
>
>>> So looking manually at the binaries build from the kicad source by ldd I
>>> can see a lot linked libraries but no library libngspice.so.0! Seems the
>>> library is simply opened by dlopen. So that's the reason why the
>>> packaging isn't adding a dependency on the package libngspice0.
>>
>> You are correct. The library used to be linked with eeschema, but we
>> have faced problems that could be resolved only by reloading the
>> library. I am afraid it has to stay this way for the time being.
>
> As a potential step into the right direction it would be good if
> eeschema would search for libngspice.so.0 on Linux platforms. I can then
> add a manual dependency on the library package instead on the -dev
> package (which is gladly for ngspice rather small compared to other -dev
> packages).

Done, courtesy of Stefan who provided the patch.

> nsgpice and especially the upstream packaging did from a Debain POV
> really big steps forwards and I'm really happy that Holger from the
> upstream team was really responsive to my questions and suggestions in
> the past year! Without this it wouldn't be possible that KiCad in Debian
> can now use ngspice from Debian main!
>
> So far I know Holger is also reading on this list, so I suggest to get
> in contact with Holger Vogt about the problems you have or had in the
> past. I'm quite sure Holger is willing to improve the situation if possible.

I know that Holger has already helped us a few times with ngspice
support, I appreciate that. If I recall correctly, the issue has been
discussed on forum.kicad.info, but indeed deserves a separate bug report
with a minimal example.

In any case, we still need to keep the current approach until the fix is
available in packages, meaning it will take time. Even then I would
rather stay on the safe path and let us recover from errors by reloading
the library.

Cheers,
Orson