Re: eeschema depends on libngspice.so instead of libngspice.so.0?

Hi,

Am 27.10.18 um 11:31 schrieb Maciej Suminski:
>> As a potential step into the right direction it would be good if
>> eeschema would search for libngspice.so.0 on Linux platforms. I can then
>> add a manual dependency on the library package instead on the -dev
>> package (which is gladly for ngspice rather small compared to other -dev
>> packages).
>
> Done, courtesy of Stefan who provided the patch.

Yeah, I also already picked up this patch to fix the Debian build for
5.0.1 a few hours ago.

> I know that Holger has already helped us a few times with ngspice
> support, I appreciate that. If I recall correctly, the issue has been
> discussed on forum.kicad.info, but indeed deserves a separate bug report
> with a minimal example.

I'm sure Holger is willing to help. But yes, first the real problem
needs to be visible and clear. :)
We have found some missing header files within libngspice while writing
a small autopkgtest for Debian. Holger is knowing this and will have a
look at this.

> In any case, we still need to keep the current approach until the fix is
> available in packages, meaning it will take time. Even then I would
> rather stay on the safe path and let us recover from errors by reloading
> the library.

Sure, but dlopen used in this way has some downsides especially on
Linux. Like I also was trapped by this. There is a reason why we have
dh_shlibdeps in Debian, it saves so much times to collect the
dependencies automatically!
dlopen without a dependency is evil because people will normally see
just a segfault and don't know what is missing. And it's annoying and
time consuming on the user side to fix such problems.

I'd really appreciate if the situation could be improved here somewhere
in the future!

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert