Re: [RFC] Symbol library file format

Hi Carsten,

Unfortunate, I don't think the reality works like that. While my
experience with SPICE is quite sparse (especially inside KiCad), I do
NOT think in this case about open and free spice model for IC's. Not
everyone uses the KiCad supplied libraries but their own, and simple
spice stuff like putting some resistors together for an R-Network can be
done in the official as well.

Fully separate spice out of the symbol would not work anyway because
from what I noticed spice pin does not map to symbol pin in many cases.
You need to link that somewhere anyway. I'm heavily in favor of
simplifying handling of simulation for users. Integrating this into one
file would be less error-prone than separating simulation into multiple
additional files. Including external SPICE models would then be an
option, but not necessary.

A modular approach where SPICE is only one of many possibilities is in
my favor, but in a different way than you proposed (integrated in the
symbol). There is for example the topic of digital simulation, which
would require different types of models. We should at least think about
it so it can be integrated later in a nice way.

Regards,
Thomas