Re: [KiCad-developers] Hoping to contribute but I have some questions

Am 2019-01-08 18:37, schrieb Brian Piccioni:
Seth

I have read the style guide and it more or less conforms with my usual way of doing things. The major change is the use of spaces vs tabs, which is just a setting on my editor, and the way I always signal global variables is
slightly different. I also use a lot if inline comments.

If you could point me to some "bugs for a dummy" I'd appreciate it. It will take me a while to understand enough to be useful but I have always found
that solving a problem is a much faster path to learning something.

This one [1] is pretty self-contained. The array tool is something of a mess but the gist here is that the numbering when using "First Free Number" is querying the module for the correct number and then adding the pad with that number. However, the module doesn't get updated until the undo/redo stack is committed. So all of the new pads get the same number. You can't just commit each new pad because then your undo/redo stack gets huge (potentially) So you could track the pad number in the routine with a self-contained map of used numbers. The solution will need to account for modules that have non-sequential numbering already in place.

As for debugging, I almost always use gdb in the terminal or printf() statements scattered in the code if I'm not sure where the error is.

Thanks for looking to help out here! Feel free to ask for feedback at any point.

-Seth

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1808706