Re: [patch] improved support for MS Visual Studio

On 06/03/2019 20:28, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> Seth,
>
> On 3/6/2019 2:16 PM, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
>> Am 2019-03-06 12:17, schrieb Tomasz Wlostowski:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This patchset enables building KiCad in MS Visual Studio (version 2017,
>>> not tested on earlier versions).
>>
>> Thank you Tom!  I would love it if, after testing, we could consider
>> switching our official MSW builds to MSVC.  While the mingw project does
>> good work, it is substantially slower and doesn't fully implement C++11,
>> particularly the std::async library but not just.  It also doesn't (as
>> far as I have found) document which parts don't properly work.  So we
>> discover them as we go along.
>>
>> A note on patch 0009: the auto-generated libcontext seems to be
>> substituting windows line termination, so every line is modified.
>>
>> -Seth
>
> I think this is probably a good idea but please keep in mind that this
> would require some major changes to our windows packaging script and a
> lot of testing before we could make it the default for windows builds.

Hi Wayne,

There's a long way to go for official MSVC builds, but having it
supported already means a lot of help for Windows developers. Also I
encourage to test the binaries produced with MSVC as it may unearth more
bugs/assertions that we missed on MSYS/GCC because of different memory
layout.

Tom