Re: V6 merge priority

Hey Jon,

On 3/9/2019 5:58 PM, Jon Evans wrote:
> Hi Wayne and the rest of the team,
>
> My code is located here:
> https://github.com/craftyjon/kicad/tree/bus_upgrades
> (I can rebase/format this as a patchset to make review easier if needed)

Please rebase it when you get a chance.  It certainly will be easier to
review and merge when it's rebased against the latest changes in the dev
branch.

> Documentation updates are in this branch:
> https://github.com/craftyjon/kicad-doc/tree/bus_upgrades
>
> Unfortunately, I've been very busy in the past few months and have not
> had time to perform regular testing of my branch beyond checking that it
> compiles as I merge upstream changes into it.
> Since the branch has been feature complete for some time now, I would
> not be terribly surprised if a bug or two has crept in due to the rest
> of the code moving forward.

Once I merge this, will you be available to fix bugs as the pop up?
Until the rest of the team understands your code, you will be the best
candidate to get bugs fixed quickly.

> Please be aware that this branch contains an entirely new netlist
> generator in order to support the new features.
> This is exciting for the speed and feature improvements it makes
> possible, but scary because of the consequences of getting anything wrong!
> I have put in place a quality control check
> (see NETLIST_EXPORTER_KICAD::WriteNetlist) that attempts to catch any
> corner cases that I have not found already where the new algorithm is
> inconsistent from the old, but there is always room for error here.
> My thoughts were to keep in this code in master for some period of time
> after merge, and then disable it or put it behind some flag after we
> have more confidence in the new algorithm.  I welcome other suggestions
> here.
> I would like it to get more visibility and testing so that any defects
> can be corrected before merge, so that people who run nightly builds
> don't suffer unnecessarily.

I will build and test your code as soon as you get it rebased.  If any
of the other devs have time to test this, I would appreciate and extra
set of eyes on this code.  It has the potential to be really disruptive
so the more testing we can get up front, the better.

> The new netlist exporter has also only been implemented for the KiCad
> netlist format (not OrCad / CadStar / PSpice) as I wanted to get
> review/approval of the new system before converting over the other
> exporters.
>
> It's also worth noting that one of the new features does introduce a
> schematic file format addition (bus aliases).
> It would be possible to rip out this portion of the changes and stage it
> for later merge if that were desirable.

I forgot about the bus aliases changes.  I really wanted to avoid making
changes to the existing schematic file format if possible.  Given that
your work is done and I haven't even started working on the new file
format code, I'm willing to accept this change and update the new
schematic file format accordingly.