Re: Patch: Legacy symbol read/write extraction; SCH_PLUGIN registry mechanism

Hi Brian,

I don't have any comments on specifics of the patch but I just wanted to
let you know that I'm looking forward to this work being merged.

Some time ago I suggested
<https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg38772.html> that KiCad
moved to protobuf based file formats and even done some proof of concept
work <https://github.com/qu1ck/kicad-source-mirror/tree/proto/proto>.
I wanted to go as far as fully integrate protobuf io plugins and add a
converter from legacy format to alleviate concerns about performance. But I
saw that SCH_IO_MGR is not fully implemented yet and decided to wait until
that is done and different file formats are truly pluggable.

I'm still reserving hope that I can convince core devs that declarative
format with vast language support and built-in strict parser is the way to
go. You can see my reasoning and follow-up discussion in the mail chain I
linked above. It might be of interest to you as well since converting
protobuf into compact binary format for storage in database would be ~3
lines of code.

As soon as your changes to finish SCH_IO_MGR get in soon I will continue my
work on protobuf format for schematic and symbol libs.

Regards,
Andrew