Re: Module icons

On 3/19/19 5:27 PM, John Beard wrote:
> Hi Seth,
>
> I know what you mean. Our icons are not really designed for high DPI,
> the truly correct solution is to have a whole set of more detailed icons
> that don't look as chunky when rendered out at 52x52px.
>
> The next best IMO is to render the (vector) icons at double resolution,
> so they stay aligned, just a bit chunky and under-detailed wrt the
> physical pixels.

We talked about providing a image library with multiple sized bitmaps to
handle high dpi displays but I'm not sure this is worth the effort given
that SVG handling is built into wx3.1 which is already available on most
if not all platforms.  However, if someone were to code this I wouldn't
be opposed to it.

> The lowest level is what we do right now, which is render at 1x and then
> blow them up to 2x (we use bilinear interpolation). This looks pretty
> bad, especially when there are high frequencies in the image data.
> Blurry lines upscale a bit better than sharp ones, which is probably
> what you are seeing. But that's pretty much as good as it gets using
> 26px raster source data.
>
> I'm unsure if we can feed our SVG files into WX directly, which would
> get us scalable icons for free, and avoids the fiddly render-to-png step
> (though we can still embed the binary data if wanted). Failing that,
> rendering all icons twice, once at 26 and once at 52, is possible, but
> takes quite a bit more building (doubles the icon count).

Direct SVG rendering is available in wx3.1.  I don't think we will be
ready to make wx3.1 the minimum until after v6.  There are far too many
platforms where wx3.0 is the default.