Re: Zone hatch filling patch

Le 20/03/2019 à 19:27, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
> Hi JP,
>
> Rather than pollute the bug report[1] with feedback about your zone
> hatch filling patch, I moved the conversation to the mailing list.  If
> anyone else would like to test and comment on this patch, the patch can
> be found in the bug report.
>
> I did some testing and the results look pretty good although it can be a
> bit time consuming filling complex zones.  This is to be expected.  One
> thing I did notice was that the hatched zone filling appears to leave
> really small cutouts in some cases (see attached image).  I know there
> is no setting for this but maybe we should use the "Minimum width"
> setting to removed excessively small cutouts as well as copper areas.
> I'm not sure what users are going to expect here but it's something to
> think about.

Removing excessively small cutouts is not an easy task for many reasons:
- How to recognize a "excessively small cutout"? For an human this is
easy. For a computer it is not.
- Calculation time will be certainly very expensive.
- Most important, our filled areas are polygons with thick outlines.
Therefore the polygon itself is small, and its shape is not exactly the
filled area shape.
Making "excessively small cutout" very hard to detect (the hole area is
much bigger than the final hole area)
Converting polygons with thick outlines to polygon only creates a lot of
vertices.
I tried that in Pcbnew a long time ago, and abandoned this idea due to
significant calculation time, although it has many advantages.

As I said previously, grid shaped fill mode can be used only in specific
cases, not for "normal" ground planes.

> I also would like you to change the terminology from "grid pattern" to
> "hatch" for UI strings, source code naming, and file formatting.  In
> other words, the file format token "pattern_thickness" should be
> "hatch_thickness", the source code name "m_GridPatternThickness" should
> be "m_HatchThickness", and the dialog fill type string type "Grid
> Pattern" should be "Hatch". I think "hatch" is more descriptive when
> describing this type of zone fill.

Yes, but we are already using Hatch option in Outline Display mode in
zone settings dialog (and hatch as keyword in .kicad_pcb file).

So it can create unclear options in dialog.
(and somewhat in file)

Thoughts?

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS