Re: Patch set: Display Origin Transforms rebase

Sorry about the delay in responding. I've been traveling.

I don't believe overloading the base instance of GetMsgPanelInfo() and GetSelectMenuText() will achieve the desired goal. Overloading functions works great when the /caller/ wants to choose between variants of a function. In this case, though, the call is being made via a pointer to a EDA_ITEM (in EDA_DRAW_FRAME::SetMsgPanel(), currently at common/legacy_gal/eda_draw_frame.cpp:582). The caller has no knowledge of whether the object requires the third parameter or not. Since EDA_DRAW_FRAME is common to all applications, it's an all or none situation.

Realistically, I expect support for origin transforms will eventually be integrated into all of the applications. Pcbnew first, but users are going to expect consistency from Gerbview. The footprint editor would also benefit greatly, and thus cvpcb too. Okay, maybe the PCB Calculator won't support display origin transforms, and it seems the work sheet editor already has a similar concept.

That leaves Eeschema and the symbol editor. The Aux Origin is defined in Eeschema but there's no way to set it and I'm not sure that's the best way to handle the situation anyway. Although my previous patch set didn't tweak GetMsgPanelInfo() and GetSelectMenuText() in Eeschema code to perform display origin transforms, that could have be done easily since they already receive a reference to an ORIGIN_TRANSFORMS object, which is currently NullOriginTransforms. Then whatever scheme was developed for Eeschema would only require that flavor of ORIGIN_TRANSFORMS to be passed in and these would work. Only the Eeschema flavor of UNIT_BINDER and the appropriate changes to the dialogs would then be needed.

Also consider that much of the DRC marker code is shared between Pcbnew and Eeschema. While Eeschema can simply pass a reference to the NullObjectTransforms object to the common DRC code, this means Eeschema can't be completely isolated from these changes.

The alternative is for someone to come up with a scheme by which the editor hierarchy can provide display formatting functions to the structural hierarchy without passing a parameter to these display-oriented functions. I don't think that's likely, though I'm open to suggestions.

Perhaps the display formatting could be bundled into a class, rather than being classless, global functions as they are now. The editors could then pass a reference to this formatting class in place of the current EDA_UNITS parameter. The display formatting class could handle display units (mm vs in) and origin transformations internally. This could also help ease future formatting enhancements. However, this sort of change would be far broader in scope than my current patch set, and I was hoping for my entrance to the KiCad development community to be a bit less dramatic.

-Reece