Hierarchical sheets and reuse (was: Undo proposal)

If I understand that correctly It's just a normal hierarchical sheet but so
that the file path points to a file outside the current project? And
several projects can use that same file? It indeed sounds tricky if the
sheet needs changes. I have used one hierachical sheet file with several
instances but only inside one project, not shared. (BTW, even Rene Pöschl
thought that files shouldn't or couldn't be used between projects; see
https://forum.kicad.info/t/designing-a-multiple-levels-pcbs-in-kicad/17526/21
<https://forum.kicad.info/t/designing-a-multiple-levels-pcbs-in-kicad/17526/21?u=eelik>
.)

What comes to mind is how KiCad uses the footprint libraries. Each
footprint in a board is a copy of the original but keeps a link to it so it
can be updated from the library. The same will be true for symbols in v6
while the current system of handling symbols have been problematic, right?
Doesn't that point to a solution where files can't be shared between
projects in a way which would cause one project propagating changes
automatically to others? Maybe even similar to footprints, so that a sheet
would keep a link to the original and it could be updated at will? This, on
the other hand, points to a larger system which would have a library of
sheets, with path variable substitution, a library browser and all...

Eeli Kaikkonen

ke 3. heinäk. 2019 klo 18.13 Wayne Stambaugh (stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx)