Re: Strange program version numbering in KiCad

ma 8. heinäk. 2019 klo 23.47 Nick Østergaard (oe.nick@xxxxxxxxx) kirjoitti:

> How is a number like 99 being any better than the latest release tag?

Did you read the original post, about the current problem? What is the
"latest release tag"? 5.1.0 or 5.1.2? Number like 5.99 is unambiguous (and
more clearly points to the next number, 6.0). Like this, my other
suggestions were that the latest or the next release tag wouldn't be used
at all for development versions. The reason is that it would be clear and
unambiguous for all possible purposes.

To add to the original suggestion: -dev ending could be added to make it
even more clear that it's a development version, but can it create problems
for Linux or other package numbering schemes? Probably not, 5.99.0-dev is
smaller than 5.99.1-dev if 5.99-dev would be used for a release candidate.
I wouldn't like using 5.99.0 and then 6.0-rc1 because in alphabetical order
6.0 comes before 6.0-rc1. Therefore 5.99.0, 5.99.1 etc. would be the
easiest and least ambiguous solution.

Eeli Kaikkonen