Re: Strange program version numbering in KiCad

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 09:26:11AM -0400, Steven A. Falco wrote:

> I'd vote for the .99 approach, assuming I get a vote. :-)

The main difficulty is the way the version number generation is
implemented. We use "git describe" to get the name of the last tag, then
add the number of commits and the commit ID.

So, if we wanted to have .99 in the version number somewhere, there'd have
to be a tag "5.99" on some intermediate version. I guess I could
special-case that in the delivery pipeline so that it doesn't get uploaded
as a stable release, but I still think it is a bit confusing to have a tag
on something that is not a release.

   Simon