Re: Patch: Fixing a compile error on Power PC

On 8/26/19 4:16 PM, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
> On 2019-08-26 16:05, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
>> On 26/08/2019 17:24, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
>>> Agreed.  That looks like it may be have been a rebase issue as the
>>> commit was for MSVC and shouldn't affect PPC.
>>>
>>> @Tom, shout if you see an issue here.  I've pushed the patch to master
>>> in the meantime.
>>>
>> I don't see a technical issue, but rather a practical one: why Linux
>> distributions dictate us what architectures we should support?
>>
>> I've never seen a machine with a little-endian PPC.
>>
>> Tom
>
> The LE variant is the PPC future starting with POWER8[1][2].
>
> [1] https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=POWER-PPC64-Discontinue-Fedora
> [2] https://developer.ibm.com/articles/l-power-little-endian-faq-trs/

I don't think it is a question of LE vs BE.  The issue is 32-bit vs 64-bit.

On a 64-bit PPC machine, gcc defines both _ARCH_PPC and _ARCH_PPC64, so the test in libcontext.h was wrong, and resulted in both 32-bit and 64-bit code trying to be compiled simultaneously.  My patch simply makes it "either 32bit or 64-bit" rather than "both 32-bit and 64-bit at the same time".

	Steve