Re: suggestion: git branching model

On 2019-12-11 08:17, Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:
Ok, good to hear!

How about moving the new symbol inheritance stuff into such a feature
branch until it's working? (See
https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/issues/3658) I understand it would
mean less testing, but in its current state it's impossible to test or
work on anything else since kicad keeps crashing.

This will happen sometimes. We try to avoid it but we can't always foresee the crashes, especially with large features. Frequently the crashes are actually due to the difficulty of rebasing and merging the branch.

If you are developing and need a stable version for this, I would recommend creating your feature branch off of a known-working revision from last week.

If you are trying to utilize KiCad to design a board, you may need to utilize an older nightly revision.

Asking the development team to keep the development branch bug-free is not realistic. This issue will get resolved. Until then, please use the older revision.

If you are interested in helping test feature branches to minimize the crashes in the future, you might test and review the feature branch at https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/merge_requests/15 . It will be merged soon but has not had any testing outside of my own at the moment. This is the downside of feature branches in a volunteer-based development model.

Best-
Seth

Seth Hillbrand
KiCad Services Corporation