Re: DRC reports

Coming from the point of view of using commercial tools, I don't really see
the three tabs as different categories.
An unconnected is a violation: it violates the implicit rule that all net
items must be connected.  Generally, advanced tools allow you to override
this default rule.
For example, Altium's default rule for unrouted nets:
[image: image.png]
You could change the filter so that there are some areas where unrouted
nets are allowed, if you wanted to do your design this way.

And, there are also clearance rules that fall in the category of "did you
mean ==" in that sometimes you actually know better than the checker (this
is especially true with the current state of what rules are possible to
express in KiCad, but will still be true even with a complex rules engine,
in my experience)

The way I had been thinking about it is that if there is a type of rule
that you just don't want to see, you would just disable that rule in the
project DRC settings.
The tree would only ever show the hierarchy for violations that exist (i.e.
empty top level sections would be suppressed) so it would not be too
cluttered.

-Jon