Re: Eeschema annotate block / specific component types proposal

Thanks Jon - I don't have access to Altium so that's really helpful.

I was wondering about the possibility of locking components; I sometimes
want to do this with, for example, key ICs - MCUs, DACs, etc. One could add
this as a Symbol Property, which wouldn't need any changes to file formats.
Whether it got a custom checkbox in the Symbol Properties dialog, or would
just be there as another option that a user may add (which would make it a
'power user' feature as it wouldn't be obvious unless one knew to add it)
would need to be considered - UI clutter vs. access to features for all.

With the multi-part consideration, where on the schematic does it dump the
new components? It wouldn't be too difficult to implement an algorithm
which finds a space in which all the sub-components required could fit,
with some gross assumptions on layout. Or can Altium add a component to the
BOM without it being on the schematic?

I'm also mindful that some algorithms can't solve everything (although this
strikes me as a non-trivial problem, rather than an impossible problem...)
- and bailing out and telling the user why is also always a option, in the
spirit of 'do no harm'.

Yours,
James.