Re: No hotkey for "Set Bus Entry Shape"

> On May 31, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Ian McInerney <Ian.S.McInerney@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> There are currently 2 actions on the Eeschema tool framework for changing the bus entry shape, but they don't have a hotkey assigned by default. Additionally, bus entries are able to be mirrored and rotated as normal (using the hotkeys for those actions). So I guess the question is, do we need to have explicit actions for changing the shape of the bus entry when all that is really doing is a mirror/rotate and we allow that anyway?
>
> -Ian

All right, I just checked in 5.1.6, and the usual X and Y mirror and R rotate hotkeys work. But … that’s not obvious, by which I mean if you right-click on the bus entry, the context menu does not offer those options like it does if you click on a part symbol. It only shows options to move the entry (M), change the shape and delete the entry. From the user perspective, then, the X/Y/R commands don’t exist. I can’t speak for any other users, but it seems to me that the context menu is useful for reminding the user about what commands are available/allowable for the thing under the cursor.

I agree that the action for changing the entry shape is redundant, but only if the mirror and rotate options are added to the context menu.

And it’s still an annoyance that you can’t see the entry before you place it. One _can_ see a part symbol (ghosted) as you move the mouse prior to placement, so for consistency the bus entry should work the same way. Place Junction also doesn’t show the junction before it’s placed, but at least you know it exists only at the mouse pointer.

-a