Re: Granularity of DRC error code

As an Allegro user, There are two-letter violation DRC error types which
give you an idea about the kind of violation. 'P-P' for pin-to-pin
violation, 'P-S' for a pin-to-shape (shape = zone), 'D-S' for
drill-to-shape, 'K-V' for keepout-to-via, etc. One can then drill down into
the details of the violation to find exactly the elements involved, and the
exact constraint being violated.

I think this is just what you're suggesting, Ian and Jon, and I like it
too. Fewer buckets of error types to keep track of.

Having edge-to-copper clearance separate is nice, I agree. It might also
make sense to partition any type of DFx DRC error from a true electrical
DRC error since in my mind the path to resolution is different. But in v6
maybe the type of violation won't be that granular to separate electrical
and DFx rules?

I also think it would be nice to somehow provide a link that will take the
user to the area of the UI where the violated constraint can be seen and
configured. It can get tricky sometimes to figure out where a constraint is
coming from and it's always annoying to feel like I've wasted time hunting
and poking around when the tool obviously knows exactly which rule is
involved in the error.