Re: Display origin transforms for DRC reports?

Jon,

The alternate origins themselves (Place & Drill / Aux origin, and Grid origin) in Pcbnew are stored in the BOARD_DESIGN_SETTINGS class and saved in the board file. Of course, the Page origin location doesn't need to be stored; it's always (0,0).

My initial thought last year was to store the user's choice of display origin in the board file, but after some discussion we reached consensus that the choice of display origin was more like millimeters/inches and thus should be a user option rather than a board property. In the proposed implementation, the user's preference for which origin is used for display is stored in the PCB_DISPLAY_OPTIONS class and saved in the pcbnew.json file. I think a case could be made that this should be saved per-project, but no one has made a good argument for that.

The primary user of the display origin transforms is the UNIT_BINDER class. This class has a pointer to the EDA_DRAW_FRAME object.  Since UNIT_BINDER is common, I added a virtual function "GetOriginTransforms()" to the EDA_DRAW_FRAME class. This function returns a reference to an ORIGIN_TRANSFORMS class. The base implementation of the ORIGIN_TRANSFORMS class contains functions that return their coordinate arguments unchanged. This way none of the KiCad applications see a change in behavior unless they override the GetOriginTransforms() function.

In the case of Pcbnew, the EDA_DRAW_FRAME parameter is actually a pointer to a PCB_BASE_FRAME object. In this class, the GetOriginTransforms() function is overridden and returns a reference to a PCB_ORIGIN_TRANSFORMS object. This object's functions know how to access the BOARD_DESIGN_SETTINGS and PCB_DISPLAY_OPTIONS objects through the PCB_BASE_FRAME object and perform the needed transformations.

This works for everything that can find the EDA_DRAW_FRAME object, like UNIT_BINDER. The GetMsgPanelInfo functions take an EDA_DRAW_FRAME pointer as a parameter, so this isn't a problem. However, the GetSelectMenuText() functions take only an EDA_UNITS parameter. Thus my problem.

-Reece