Re: New Build Dependencies: Lemon + GTK3

On 8/3/20 2:47 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 8/3/20 2:42 PM, Steven A. Falco wrote:
On 8/3/20 2:37 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 8/3/20 2:01 PM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
Hello Ian,

Am 03.08.20 um 19:39 schrieb Ian McInerney:
I have now updated this so that we bundle the lemon parser code inside
thirdparty and build it for ourselves (it is only 1 main c file that
was released into the public domain). CMake then takes care of all the
pathing for the template and executable file for the targets. This
should work on all platforms now with no extra steps. It also means
that there is no need to install lemon on dev computers anymore.

unfortunately that is a typical thing how problems are getting "solved",
simply embed the required third party code. From a security perspective
this is mostly a nightmare as also typically nobody ever touches such
code again as it "works" for all times.
Please try to avoid this when *ever* possible and look for alternatives.
For package maintainers a good alternative is to make the use of the
third party code optional. Means that a configure switch should be
available to so on the Linux side we can use the package versions.

Embedded code is quite in no way traceable and make the work of package
maintainers and of the security teams within Linux distribution even
more harder [1].

So if not already the use of the lemon parser is configured in a way I
can chose to use a packaged version please consider to do so. Thank you.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCopies

I could not have said it better myself.  We now have programmed
ourselves into a third party library maintenance issue.  In the future,
all new dependencies should be run by the lead development team for
discussion so we can plan how we want to handle them.

What is the resolution?  Do I undo the dependency on the lemon parser
generator?  Or will there be a flag to select whether to generate or use
the canned one?

I really don't like having this potentially work two different ways.
Then there could be bugs that only show up when using a newer lemon, or
that show up when using the pregenerated code.  It is best to have
exactly one way that this works.

     Steve

Would the solution proposed in my last post be sufficient?

It would avoid adding a flag, but you'd still have the potential problem that different platforms could end up behaving differently, because some are using an older (canned) parser, and some are using a newer (generated) parser.  The risk in this instance is probably small, but as a general principle, it is not good to have avoidable differences between platforms.

That said, I'll be happy to adapt to whatever the lead devs decide.

	Steve