Re: Was the initial graphics mode screen removed?

Le 11/01/2022 à 21:10, Jon Evans a écrit :
> IMHO, we shouldn't remove anything that helps to deal gracefully with the diversity of situations (like a virtual machine), graphics hardware and video drivers... and their possible bugs ! (as stated about X11/Mesa).
[...]
we need to push forward into more modern hardware-accelerated graphics APIs in order to make it possible to implement some desirable features, help performance on large designs, etc.

The idea is that instead of being stuck on some "lowest common denominator" OpenGL, we can instead for example use DirectX on Windows and Metal on macOS.

-Jon

It would be nice, then, to choose a modern backend that supports natively multiple hardware engine, including a pure software rendering that could be used as "fallback". Slower, but may save the day to some.

These third party graphics layers are usually multi platform/OS, and a software only rendering option is reasonable expectation, but I really don't know what is the current "offer", in 2021.

Anyway, taking this into account from the beginning could make it happen with very little development overhead later.

(BTW, OpenGL may well still be the hidden engine for Unix-like systems - just my guess).

Pierre.