Re: V6 documentation

[ I'm on this list, no need to address me dedicated. ]

Am 19.01.22 um 18:45 schrieb Jon Evans:

I think you misunderstand.  We currently have three rolling releases on docs.kicad.org <http://docs.kicad.org>: V5, V6, and master (nightly). We will continue adding new "rolling release" builds for every major release version.

I think I have understand you. :)

But for me "rolling release" and "stable release" isn't something that is working well together as it simply doesn't fit together per definition.

[cut off]
I stand on my opinion, I'm not convinced that most of the things you suggested is the way to go.

The price is that the average Linux user will get 6.0.1 tagged docs instead of latest V6 docs (and so forth) and won't necessarily think to check for updated ones.

That's the idea behind packages that using a tagged version. I haven't seen any professional software is doing that you suggest.
And the typical experienced Linux user isn't behaving like Windows user.

You are confusing rolling release of binary packages/applications with rolling release of documentation -- they are entirely different in my mind.

No, I don't.
Doing constantly bug fixing for current stable releases of KiCad doesn't exclude doing the same for improving the (stable) documentation independently from the current development branch.

I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not really able to help on this part effectively, and also I have given up long time ago trying contributing to the KiCad documentation for various reasons.

The main devs are free to do and decide whatever they think is the right thing and way for KiCad. I simple don't see why it would be really helpful for the users what you are proposing. In my eyes is dropping existing formats a loss of well working and usable support.

--
Regards
Carsten