kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Asciidoctor status / thoughts about formats

I wanted to update this thread since I am continuing work on the
update/rewrite of the KiCad documentation for V6, and continue to run
into areas where Asciidoc vs Asciidoctor is causing issues.  I want to
move us to Asciidoctor as soon as possible so that we stop wasting
time on these problems and can move forward.

>From discussion with Wayne and others, dropping support for CJK
languages is not an option.  We expect a growing number of KiCad users
whose first language is Chinese/Japanese/Korean in the future and we
do not want to exclude them from the translated documentation.

Right now, I have a working prototype solution for generating HTML and
PDF output from Asciidoctor, with CJK support. [1]
The current plan is to move forward with merging this soon.  This will
have two impacts:

1) ePUB support will be dropped for now.  I recognize that some users
appreciate ePUB support, but the fact is that we have limited
resources to tackle the documentation and I would rather spend that
time actually writing documentation rather than investigating yet
another output format and its quirks.  I think most e-readers can read
HTML and/or PDF files anyway, so hopefully this is not that big a
deal.  We welcome contributions to re-add ePUB support after this is
merged, I just don't have time to do it personally and nobody else has
stepped up yet.

2) We will add a dependence on asciidoctor-web-pdf[1] to generate PDF
files.  This is the recommended path from the Asciidoctor team and
seems to work well.

Again, I recognize that this is an imperfect solution, but overall I
think it will be better for the project to move to Asciidoctor in the
long term, and again we welcome any assistance folks want to offer in
adding back support for ePUB if there is demand for this.

Thanks,
Jon

[1] https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc/-/merge_requests/809
[2] https://github.com/Mogztter/asciidoctor-web-pdf