kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

contextual help guide

Hello devs & doc devs,

I would like to see somehow introduced, along with the traditional read
all at once, a better way to consult documentation: contextual help.

It seems complex but really, with our asciidoc documentation system it's
not that difficult to implement.

One just have to set "link targets" in form of [[this_text]] (it should
be one_word) after every relevant part of the manual (usually a chapter
title, just after the title, with the same text) and then use those links
in the program to open the contextual page in a browser using an address
like for instance:

file://local-docs-dir/version/lang/manual-section#this_text

or

https://docs.kicad.org/version/lang/manual-section#this_text

Obviously the program should have a special key to fire it.

See as an example The GIMP:

- standard help: F1
- contextual help: Shift+F1

With KiCad would be:

- standard help: F1
- list hotkeys: Ctrl+F1
- contextual help: Shift+F1

BTW: KiCad default F1 to 'Zoom in at cursor'. I would redefine it to a
more "standard" open help like a lot of other programs like GIMP,
LibreOffice etc.

--

Saluton,
Marco Ciampa